Re: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: list indentation
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:58:45 +0100

Are you talking about something like longlines.el?  I am not sure
if you understand what you mean.

- Carsten
On Feb 10, 2008, at 9:00 AM, cezar wrote:

Personally I do like:

- this way of indenting a long line
 that extends to more than one line

So an idea that comes to mind is, how about disabling indentation for
lists and have a special way of editing a list item like so:

- have your list content here up to a point where you press <C-M-TAB>
 and that indents your next line (or pointer)

So pressing just TAB in a list content won't have any effect.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Cezar

Hi Everyone,

I am personally not fond of separators, and we must be sure what
their purpose is.  As a means of terminating a list for export
and folding, you can use empty lines when setting the variable
`org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists' discovered by Will.
Or any text that is no linger indented behind the bullet marker.

But if I understand correctly, this is really about indentation and
about M-q paragraph wrapping.

I have thought about how to make aragraph wrapping to respect the
indentation of a line after a plain list item and failed.  I cannot
figure it out.

For paragraph wrapping we would really need a separator, and then we
would need to add this separator to the regular expressions in
`paragraph-start' and `paragraph-separate', obscure pieces of the
Emacs formatting which do not work really consistent between different
commands fill-paragraph and fill-region).  EIther that, or I am not
really able to comprehend how this works.

About indentation, there are other possible conventions one could use.
Right now, TAB will indent a line under a plain list item to beyond
the item bullet.  Independent of the current indentation.  So it will
indent lines with low indentation, and outdent lines with too large
indentations.

One could have different conventions.  For example, we could do this:
In the line after a plain list item:
- when the indentation is 0 or when the line is empty, make TAB indent
 to under the line before, as if you intended to continue the item.
- when the line is not empty and already indented, keep that
indentation.

I am not sure if that would be seen as more consistent and stable, up
for discussion.

- Carsten