Re: [Orgmode] Re: file level categories

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: file level categories
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 10:45:26 +0100

On Mar 7, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

Eddward DeVilla schrieb:
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Joel J. Adamson <address@hidden > wrote:

I'm a little confused. Forgetting for the moment what the OP wants to
accomplish, if I have multiple

#+CATEGORY

lines in a buffer, each one shows up in my agenda indexed by the
category immediately preceding it. Is there some other way *I should*
do this?

The #+CATEGORY is more of a legacy thing now.  Unless you are like me
and try to have one category per file, you should use the category
property in the property drawer for an item.

Edd

you mean if I have 5 blocks of items, each belonging to another CATEGORY
I have to add a CATEGORY drawer to each and every item?

You dont have to. However, the Use of #+CATEGORY has its problems. In particular, in an outline, there is no such place as "between entries or trees". Therefore, from the logical structure of the file, #+CATEGORY is always part of the previous entry. It is therefore confusing to have it set the category for the following
stuff.

If you only have top-level entries, putting category properties can be annoying.
However, CATEGORY is trated as a property with in inheritance.  So in

* HOME tasks
  :PROPERTIES:
    :CATEGORY: home
  :END:

** task 1
** task 2

both task 1 and task 2 have category "home".

Anyway, use of multiple #+CATEGORY lines will stay in org-mode for the foreseeable
future, but I will never use it.

HTH

- Carsten

I am now working ok with #+CATEGORY at the beginning of each big section.

rainer