Re: [Orgmode] jump to iso-week in agenda

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] jump to iso-week in agenda
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:50:44 +0100

On Mar 15, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Thomas Baumann wrote:

Hi,

I really like the most advanced (pure magic working ...) and easy way of entering dates in org mode. When answering a phone call it's only a few keystrokes to jump to the date and settle the appointment. However there are some people thinking in weeks (iso-week). So when those friends call
it get's much more complicated. Currently when I would like to jump to
say week 46, I might find an old paper calendar or M-x
calendar-goto-iso-week.

How difficult would it be to
(a) add the current iso-week into the headline of the Week-View

That does not work, because the week view may or may not start
on a Monday, so it may contain days from two different weeks.
For now I am adding the ISO week number to every date in the
agenda, if this seems too cluttered we need to think of a
different solution.

(b) include magic jump to a certain week eg. *46 to jump to week 46

I have just pushed the necessary changes into the git repo.  Here is the
user interface:

Suport for ISO week dates (ISO 8601)
------------------------------------

    Dates in the agenda now show the ISO week and day
    specification, in the form `W08 2', meaning Tuesday of
    week 2.

    The keys `d', `w', `m', and `y' in the agenda view now accept
    prefix arguments.  Remember that in the agenda, you can
    directly type a prefix argument by typing a number, no need
    to press `C-u' first.  The prefix argument may be used to
    jump directly to a specific day of the year, ISO week, month,
    or year, respectively.  For example, `32 d' jumps to February
    1st, `9 w' to ISO week number 9.  When setting day, week, or
    month view, a year may be encoded in the prefix argument as
    well.  For example, `200712 w' will jump to week 12 in
    2007.  If such a year specification has only one or two
    digits, it will be mapped to the interval 1938-2037.

    When entering a date at the date prompt, you may now also
    specify an ISO week.  For example

     w4              Monday of week 4
     fri w4          Friday of week 4
     w4-5            Same as above
     2012 w4 fri     Friday of week 4 in 2012.
     2012-W04-5      Same as above

    So far I have not activated the effect of
    `org-read-date-prefer-future' on this functionality, because
    it seemed too unpredictable for me (as I usually do not know
    which week I am in).  I'd appreciate comments on this
    issue:  Should `org-read-date-prefer-future' also push dates
    into the next year if the week you are entering has already
    passed in the current year?  For consistency I guess this
    should be the case, but I cannot quite wrap my head around
    it.

    I hope but am not entirely convinced that this will behave
    sanely also during the first/last week of a year.  Please
    test extensively and report back.

Enjoy!

- Carsten