Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode versus Taskpaper - now for real

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode versus Taskpaper - now for real
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 01:05:36 +0200

Hi

> The important point I would like to make here is that for all
> intents and purposes, Org-mode *is* taskpaper!

Here is what I think: Carsten *is* Clint!

This was a very well planned, long prepared, identity-shifting and,
indeed, very nasty April's joke.

I'm reminded on the philosopher Paul Riccoer, who stated that words
cease to be controlled by the speaker as soon as he writes them down
and, thereby, makes them subject to interpretation. I think I was the
first one to bring up the issue of complexity in the org/taskpaper
thread. I never wanted to complain about this. In fact, I like it that
way, because coping with complexity creates new ideas from time to
time, even for a simple user. Since I use Org-mode (for more than a
year now) I have learned many new features that I would miss very
much, the table editor being one of them. I deem it an absolutely
meaningful feature within a task management system, since it allows
one to store a certain type of "reference material" (as David Allen
would term it) directly in connection with associated projects. Great!

I didn't take a look at the new ++ schedules and, so far, have no idea
what they are for. But sooner or later I will come across a posting in
this list, that will produce a new idea how this feature could make my
life a little more easy. I'm sure about that. This is how a non-geek
like myself makes use of complexity: slowly growing into it. And this
is one of the main reasons why I read this list.

By the way, I don't think that many newcomers are terrified by the
complexity of Org-mode. Who -- as a non-geek newbee -- reads through
the code and notices its complexity at all? They hear of it by a short
howto on the web, download the package and start using it according to
the howto. Gradually, as they read more and more pages of the manual,
they become acquainted with the more subtle functions. Am I right?

Thanks a lot for creating Org-mode

Sven