Re: [Orgmode] Re: Problem with agenda file list

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Problem with agenda file list
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:25:08 +0200

On Apr 26, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:

Dan Griswold <address@hidden> writes:

Hello all,

I've encountered a strange problem with the org-agenda-files
variable.

When I start up org-mode (which I do from my .emacs) the following
unsavory events happen:

1. org-agenda-files is set to only the first file in the list;
2. custom-set-variables is set to just org-agenda-files (blowing
   away all other customizations);
3. custom-set-variables and custom-set-faces are written to .emacs,
   even if custom-file is set to a different file name (as in my
   setup).

I've encountered problems 2) and 3). The latter can be fixed by loading
custom-file before org, and i had to explicitly set the value of
org-agenda-files in custom-set-variables to get the value i want.

I put all my customizations in separate files and rarely use
custom-set-{variables, faces}. It'd be nice if org offered the option of
*not* writing any customization back

Org does this only when adding or removing from the list of agenda
files, the writing back of faces is an unwanted side effect.

I actually agree that using calls to customize-save may not be the
best way to do this.

You can maintain the list of agenda files in a file by setting
`org-agenda-files' not to a list of files, but to the name
of a single file that will then contain the list of files.

(setq org-agenda-files "~/.agenda-files")

In this case, customize-save-variable is never called.

I am not sure how intensively this way of setting things up has
been tested, if you and others give it serious, using it actively for
several weeks, including adding and removing files, using custom
agenda commands that set special values for org-agenda-files etc,
I might consider making it een the default.

- Carsten

(i was specially puzzled by its
overwriting some of my faces, which i manage using color-theme) and be
totally customizable using elisp outside the customize interface. That's
already almost the case: all may other elisp settings for org work
nicely. IMHO, custom-set-{variables, faces} should be modified only
when *explicitly* requested by the user, either by using customize or
manually editing custom-file.

Cheers,
jao
--
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"
-Yogi Berra, baseball coach.