Re: [Orgmode] Re: Problem with agenda file list

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Problem with agenda file list
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 06:12:34 +0200

On Apr 27, 2008, at 10:11 PM, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:

Hi Carsten,

Hi Jose,

in principle it would be possible, of course, to write a
custom function that directly modifies a special Org
configuration file.  However, that is even less clean than
what I was doing so far and is bound to cause problems.  What
if another person does *not* have a special file for Org?
Should I then directly manipulate .emacs?  I think this is
not acceptable.

I think we're misunderstanding each other :) What i really want is to
just set in my .emacs something along the lines of

(setq org-agenda-files '("/home/jao/org/a.org" "home/jao/org/b.org"))
(require 'org-install)

and be sure that org won't write any custom-set-variables or
custome-set-faces in my custom file.

Hi Jose,

you can do exactly what you did, and Org will normaly not write
anything into your .emacs file.  The only occasions are when you use
one of the commands

org-agenda-file-to-front  bound to `C-c ['
org-remove-file           bound to `C-c ]'

Last time i tried doing that,
org-agenda-files appeared automagically in my custom-set-variables
section, together with a face definition for font-lock-warning in my
custom-set-faces... they were put in my .emacs, but i was using a
separate custom-file, so i just set and loaded custom-file before
by org in my custom-file instead of .emacs. But since i'm setting
org-agenda-files in my .emacs, what i'd like is that it wouldn't appear
in custom-set-variables.

My understanding was that, in order to prevent this behaviour (that is, the automatic modification of custom-set-variables and -faces), my only
option was to use the org files list file. Am i confused?

I think you are. You must have called one of the above functions to make this
saving happen.

- Carsten