Re: [Orgmode] Drawers for plain old stuff

From: Daniel J. Sinder
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Drawers for plain old stuff
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 15:01:24 -0700

On 05/05/2008 06:29 AM, Alan E. Davis wrote:

the drawer cannot contain a headline, i.e. a line starting with one or several stars followed by a space character. Most likely, this is what was causing you problems?
Exactly.

A case I can think of---perhaps not convincing?---for regular expression of drawer names is a file with many pasted in, lengthy notes or data sets. So as to be able to distinguish them without opening them, one might wish to title them:

   :DATA-PROFILE1:

   :DATA-PROFILE2X:

   :DATA-TRANSECT_A:

   :DATA-SALINITY-2008-04-29:

An extremely simple regular expression would be "DATA.*" . One can argue, convincingly, that each data set would best be stored in a file, and could be linked to. I did have two sets of calendars from 1984 and 1985 that were not huge, but were in the way. I can as easily entitle each with a headline, then brace them in :CACHE: drawers. You have convinced me, but I hope I would not bore you by asking you for comments about this.

Perhaps a simpler solution here is to use the ARCHIVE tag, e.g.,

* DATA-PROFILE1       :ARCHIVE:
* DATA-PROFILE2X      :ARCHIVE:
* DATA-TRANSECT_A     :ARCHIVE:
* DATA-SALINITY-2008-04-29  :ARCHIVE:

This is especially useful if you already have these lines as headlines (as you've indicated above) and just want to get them out of the way, even when doing visibility cycling. Just do C-c C-x C-a on each headline you want to hide.

Dan