Re: [Orgmode] leading stars not hidden

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] leading stars not hidden
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:59:42 +0100

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:39:06AM -0400, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
> David Rawlins <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I'm using gnome-terminal in debian etch with a white background.  The
> > org-hide face foreground is set to "white," but it actually shows up
> > as a light grey.  Has anyone else run into this problem and found a
> > solution?  I can change to a black background and make it work, but
> > I'd rather not.
>
> Just out of curiosity, if you're using Gnome, why not use the X display
> of Emacs?  I myself use emacslient -t and co., so I'm genuinely curious
> what you're using it for.

I do the same thing (i.e. run emacs from gnome-terminal with emacs -nw), for
(probably questionable) aesthetic reasons: I like my emacs sessions to have the
same look as all my terminal sessions. I'm a recent convert/refugee to gnome
from a fairly brutal minimalist window manager (ion3), and am quite taken with
things like semi-transparent backgrounds. So I have a darkish desktop
background pattern which is visible behind my emacs and terminal sessions. The
leading stars are not very visible in a dark face, so that's OK. I assume
there's no obvious way to set the org-hide face so that the leading stars are
transparent? (or even, transparent to the same degree as the background of my
gnome-terminal?)

Dan