[Orgmode] org-annotate

From: Daniel M German
Subject: [Orgmode] org-annotate
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:56:23 -0700

Hi everybody,

ever since I started using org-annotate to quickly store links to a web
page inside emacs I thought about its potential as a way to annotate any
type of document.

In particular I have been interested in quickly annotating (linking) to
PDFs (one of my job's main tasks). What I envision is a menu option that
allows me to "annotate/bookmark" a  given selection, which creates
automatically an org-link to the desired document/page and saves the
selected text.

Of course this is not easy to do without hacking an application. I have
given evince a try and I am very close to having it working. but I have
talked to one of the Evince authors and he suggested a D-BUS
service. Essentially the d-bus service would wait for clients. When a
client sends the "bookmark" it would act accordingly. This way there can
be many different bookmark servers (one of them org-annotation) and many
applications would then benefit from this infrastructure. Imagine in a
future being able to link/bookmark any type of document, from images
(gimp) to open office documents.

I haven't program a D-bus service, but I think it is not difficult. But
at this point I have hacked evince and I am able to create org-links
from evince (similar to the way we create org-links from firefox).

If anybody is interested, and has being able to compile evince (not
trivial) let me know, I'll make the patch available.

--dmg

--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/