Re: [Orgmode] ical export

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] ical export
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:11:24 +0200

On Jun 22, 2008, at 8:38 PM, Cooke Karen wrote:

Hi,

I'm interested in using the ical export functionality to get todos and appointments onto my new mobile phone. Todos are appearing in the todo list as I've set org-icalendar-include-todo, however I'd like for the todo's with a deadline associated with them to have the due date set (eg DUE;VALUE=DATE:20080623) and not appear as an appointment as they do at the moment. I've worked out the function where all this happens is org-print-icalendar-entries but my lisp skills are none existent so any pointers or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Karen

Hi Karen,

I think you are completely right that the export implementation of deadlines does now not do the right thing for TODO entries. I think that for entries that are not a TODO, exporting a deadline as an event makes actually sense. Not so for TODO entries.

I have just pushed a new version to the GIT repo that does the following. Thanks for
sharing your thoughts.

HTH

- Carsten

------------------------8 ><---------------------------------8><------------------

Changes in iCalendar export
---------------------------
    Deadline and scheduling time stamps are now treated
    differently in iCalendar export.  The default behavior is now
    the following:

    - a DEADLINE that appears in an entry that is a TODO item is
      used as the item's DUE date.  Therefore, such a deadline
      will no longer show up in the calendar.

    - a DEADLINE that appears in an item that is *not* a TODO
      item is exported as an EVENT and will show up in the
      calendar.

    - a SCHEDULED timestamp in a TODO item will be used as the
      items DTSTART.  Therefore, such a timestamp will not show
      up in the calendar.

    - a SCHEDULED timestamp in an item that is not a TODO has no
      effect on iCalendar export at all.  It will be ignored.

    Of course this would not be Emacs if you could not configure
    exactly what you want.  Take a look at the variables
    `org-icalendar-use-deadlines' and
    `org-icalendar-use-deadlines' if you want to go back to the
    old behavior or even do something completely different.