Re: [Orgmode] exporting - filtering

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] exporting - filtering
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 01:36:17 +0200

Russell Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:06:57AM +0200, Richard G Riley wrote:
>>
>> When publishing/exporting can I limit certain sections to only exported
>> if they are tagged for export? e.g I have a normal org mode hierarchy
>> for my web page but then import a task based org file and then only have
>> some of those published? If not I think it would be nice addition some
>> time in the future.
>
> That sounds like a neat idea. You can always open a portion of the
> tree in another window ( C-c C-x b ) and then hit export, I do that
> all the time.
>
> I do think it would be interesting if a property could modify whether
> or not to include an item (or its children) in export.
>
> Ideas?

The main reason of course is to filter out the dross from pages of tasks
and notes.

Something like a property on #include which specifies the tag to INCLUDE
in the export.

e.g

#+import "~/orgfiles/tasks.org" includetag:export-web recursive:no

or somesuch.

Maybe simpler are properties on the top of a org file of the form

#+export-tag: export-web

Since #import currently does not check for a timestamp it tends not to
get republished unless the parent file is changed. So a top property
might be better so any "lists" imported from ones tasks is really a link
click away (normal org link).

I dont know how practical these ideas are but maybe they can start the
ball rolling or prompt someone to suggest an existing method? Having to
manually open a tree portion and exporting it isnt really practical when using
project publishing.