Re: [Orgmode] Mac OS, emacs->org/remember

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Mac OS, emacs->org/remember
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:40:15 -0700

Hi Madhu
,

welcome to the Macintosh universe.

On Jul 20, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Madhu Rao wrote:

Is there a document/tutorial describing (to a relatively novice
emacs user) the set-up of org-mode usage with Mac OS apps.

In particular, I am looking for:
- keyboard shortcut suggestions on a Mac (from any where), for emacs-
remember

I am not sure how to do this, but I am sure it can be done
with apple script.  John, do you have something for calling
raising Carbon Emacs and running remember with a Mac hotkey?

- How to get mail.app mail references (and other apps) into emacs buffer
      (the copy url in the mail.app works - I would want to see the
      subject/author of the message, than a cryptic url. I know, I can
      edit that what I want, but I would rather have this automatic)

Org-mode comes with org-mac-message.el. You need to load this file, for example by configuring the variable org-modules. With that loaded, Emacs can follow message links. To create such a link from an email, define a remember template like this:

("Emailtask" ?e "* TODO %?\n %(org-mac-message-get-link)" "~/org/ gtd.org" "Tasks" nil)

The "%(org-mac-message-get-link)" will result in a nice link showing the message subject and linking to the message.

HTH

- Carsten

- Other productivity boosters: quicksilver interface to emacs, for ex.
      I don't know what all could be possible, but wanted to
      know others' experience here.

These seem to be generic emacs queries rather than
everything related to org-mode. I didn't want to split
these queries across since, I badly want to continue using org-mode
(which
is pretty much the predominant reason I continue using emacs) after I
shifted to a Mac.