Re: [Orgmode] org to lisp

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org to lisp
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:47:48 -0700

On Jul 23, 2008, at 12:09 PM, Dan Davison wrote:

Is there an existing function that will convert an org syntax buffer
into a corresponding (recursive) lisp data structure? (preserving all
the metadata of each heading in some way?)

Well, not part of the Org core yet, but still distributed in the git repo.
It is org-export-parse in EXPERIMENTAL/org-export.el

I guess I'm thinking of
structs in C, but is this a natural thing to do in lisp? I think the
existence of such code might have been mentioned in Carsten's talk. If
so, then my second question is whether there's a recursive 'mapping'
function, to apply a function at each node of such a tree (and return
some recursive structure containing the results of those function
calls) (R users: I mean like rapply and dendrapply).

No, that does not exist, but it wold not be hard to write one that
uses the structure returned by org-export-parse.

My understanding
is that org-map-entries returns a flat, rather than a recursive, list,
and that it doesn't create a recursive representation of the buffer in
memory.

That is correct.

HTH

- Carsten

But if it's the case that I simply haven't tried hard enough
to understand the code, please just say so! My current motivation is
to create a directory/filesystem tree corresponding to the org
tree. But I don't want to try to write an org-buffer traversal
function if there's existing code written by non-beginners.

DAn