[Orgmode] Re: Gnus nnimap links

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Gnus nnimap links
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:40:49 -0400

Ross Patterson <address@hidden> writes:

> I find that my org-mode links to Gnus articles are very unstable, often
> breaking.  Specifically, a link to an article will work when created and
> later be broken.
>
> Almost all the links I make to Gnus articles are to articles in an
> nnimap backend connecting to a local dovecot IMAP server that is synced
> with the remote dovecot IMAP server using OfflineIMAP.  I don't know if
> its at all specific to nnimap or OfflineIMAPI.  IOW, since the problem
> is intermittent and I don't link to many articles with other backends,
> the fact that I've only run into this problem with this stack doesn't
> mean it doesn't occur for a different stack.
>
> Has anyone run into this or a related problem?  Does anyone have any
> suggestions for where I might start looking.

I use Gnus with a local cyrus imap server on my network.  Occasionally
links to mail fails when they are in subfolders of my INBOX.  (i.e. a
link to [[gnus:INBOX.SomeFolder#12345][email description]] will fail.  I
usually have Gnus session permanently open in a second frame all day
long and if I just open the SomeFolder group in Gnus then the link works
again.  So far that's my workaround for this issue - it's not very
elegant but it Works For Me(tm).

-Bernt