Re: [Orgmode] Re: How to convert org file to such a plain text

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: How to convert org file to such a plain text
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:40:26 -0700

On Jul 26, 2008, at 9:52 AM, anhnmncb wrote:

"Hugo Schmitt" <address@hidden> writes:

What are the odds that Carsten has plans to export to a format *you* just invented?
Oh, my pda app projekt can import this format of file, but if all of you
think it's no use, nervermind.

Hey, why the huff?

The point is, you have not given us any chance at all to
think it might be of any use!

Here is the thing:  This is an open source project, everyone
who is in it, is in there for the fun of it and in his/her
free time.  So how to trigger other people to do work for you?
Here is what triggers me:

1. BUGS
  Bugs are like a bad itch, and its very hard for me to not
  keep scratching until they are gone.

2. Logical gaps in the Org-mode framework
  If an idea or feature fits obviously into what Org should do,
  so obvious that once you hear it, you can't say why you
  have not thought about it before.

3. Interesting ideas and feature requests that do make sense
  in the Org-mode framework.
  For this the proposer needs to take the time and energy to
  make a good case for it.  Why is this interesting and
  useful for me, why for others, how can it be used
  and configured?

4. Cool stuff
  I want Org-mode to be the coolest thing out there, and cool
  ideas can occasionally trigger me to implement them even
  if their usefulness is not yet clear or well established.

5. Requests from people who have shown their interest in Org-mode
  over a longer period and have contributed in one way or another.
  I will be more inclined to listen to ideas from those people,
  even if something is badly explained or does not make sense to
  me immediately.

Let me make an example:  Had you come and explained that you are
writing a really cool PDA application that will finally allow
two-way synching between Org-mode and a PDA, and that you will make
this program freely available to everyone, and that you need a
certain input format to make sure that entries can be identified
in a unique way, you would very likely have your exporter by now.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Happy hacking!

- Carsten