[Orgmode] Pop up reference card

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: [Orgmode] Pop up reference card
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 00:37:42 +1000

Training wheels.  That's what I need.  One reason I like emacs so much.  Emacs-the self documenting text editor.

With abundant thanks to Kyle Sherman and his recently updated text org card.  I was able to convert this to org-mode, and now have a command to pop it up:

(defun org-help ()
  (interactive)
  (find-file "~/org/help.org"))
(define-key global-map "\C-c7" 'org-help)

Against my better judgement, I attach this file.  The reason I do not feel comfortable is that I have edited some strokes out of it.  And it's not my work, generally.

Now I have a question or suggestion.  How difficult would it be to have this kind of pop-up help available and generated by org itself.

Some background: Some years ago, I made up a popup feature that would pop up all my bindings for a certain prefix keymap.  For example, I had a \C-x6 as a prefix, and this little card would display keybindings for all the functions I bound to these keys.  I also do the same for several other prefixes.  I bound this to be displayed when I typed \C-x6 [F1].   However, due to a fortuitous event, I stopped writing these up.  I discovered that for some reason, and for some prefix maps, inexplicably,  emacs itself has a feature that does this automatically!!!!!!!!!!!!

The result for /C-c is far too limited to be useful for me for org mode, but it does work.  The converted text reference card is a pretty good place to start.  Perhaps org can be programmed to produce one of these.

Thank you Kyle, and everyone else who has contribued to this package.

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man