Re: [Orgmode] org-plot (generating graphs from org-mode)

From: William Henney
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-plot (generating graphs from org-mode)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 22:25:38 -0500

Hi Eric

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.  A new version of org-plot is
> up on the git repo http://github.com/eschulte/org-plot/tree/master

I can confirm that the new version fixes both the problems that I
reported. Furthermore, the new option to use a column of text labels
for the x-axis is wonderful. Thanks!

> If you don't mind, I would like to add the
> table you sent above to the example.org file in org-plot to demonstrate
> this feature.

Yes, by all means, go ahead.

I've run into a couple more minor problems that might be worth looking
into if you have the time.

**** Writing plot to file
     Two issues here:
     1. The suffix of the output file must exactly match the name of a
        gnuplot terminal type. Thus file:"foo.jpeg" works, but
        file:"foo.jpg" doesn't. Similarly, one needs to use
        ".postscript" instead of ".ps".
     2. Some terminals seem to work, but some don't (there is no error
        message and the ouput file is created, but it is empty):
        - Works :: jpeg, png, svg, postscript, mp
        - Fails :: pdf (OK, this seems to be the only one - weird)
**** Non-ascii characters in strings
     These tend not to work. However, the results vary according to
     the output terminal in use, so I suspect that this may be due to
     bugs in gnuplot. My version is
:       G N U P L O T:
:       Version 4.2 patchlevel 3
:       last modified Mar 2008
:       System: Darwin 9.4.0
     One strange thing is that, even if the .org file is utf8, the
     graphics file seems to get written as latin-1.

Cheers

Will

--

 Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
 Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia