Re: [Orgmode] Providing clock context when stopping the clock (enhanceme

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Providing clock context when stopping the clock (enhancement request)
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 08:29:57 +0200

Hi Peter,

the latest git version implements your request.  Thanks!

- Carsten

On Aug 8, 2008, at 5:25 PM, Peter Frings wrote:

Hi all,

summary: provide the context of the running clock in the note buffer when clocking out.

I might not be doing well in the 'getting organized' department, because I often forget what I was doing... :-) So I have a little enhancement request that would make my life a little easier...

Here's the situation: I have org-log-note-clock-out set so I can enter a little note about what it was I was doing. Now, I often get interrupts while banging away at the keyboard (not necessarily in emacs). Often, I don't get the time (or I simply forget) to switch to emacs, clock out and describe what I was doing. Especially not when someone is standing next to me jumping up and down in a very stressful manner.

So, when I return to my desk, maybe a hour later, I need to enter the interrupt in my time sheets. So I enter a brief note under the right heading in my time sheet, clock in, and org-mode of course first wants me first to clock out. It prompts me for what I was doing... and I don't know anymore (it's not uncommon to work on several different things during a single day, interrupting one interrupt for another -- and sometimes getting a stack overflow...). So there I am, staring at the clock-out note buffer, trying to remember what the heck I was doing before I got interrupted. Now, org-mode helpfully mentions the time on which the active clock was started, which is nice, but not enough. It would be *really* helpful when it would show the heading (maybe context) of the running clock, right there, in the note buffer, staring at my face.[1]

I know one can first jump to the active clock, read it, and then proceed to clock out/in. But you wouldn't need to do all that when the note buffer shows the context, would you? It sure would help me.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Peter -- who is still learning org-mode, and appreciating it a lot!

BTW: there's a small typo in the description of org-log-note-clock- out:
"Non-nil means, recored a note when ..."
s/recored/record/

[1] slightly off-topic: this is similar to what Don Norman (in "The Psychology of Everyday Things") refers as 'knowledge in the world' versus 'knowledge in the brain'. The more info and context a system provides, the less the user has to remember, and the easier it is for him to use the system.