Re: [Orgmode] Re: spreadsheet in org

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: spreadsheet in org
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 19:07:10 +0200

On Sep 8, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Richard G Riley wrote:

Thomas Baumann <address@hidden> writes:

Or is there a totally better way to do this? I didnt see a way for all fields to auto calculate when a certain field was changed. One has to
tab over the "#" in the left hand column. Or?

As the manual says: C-u C-c *

That is not the same thing as auto recalculation as in excel or similar : you must manually invoke it. This is easily forgotten (well by me :-;)

Fortunately, there is _no_ auto-recalculation, it would slow down
things significantly on large tables with complex formulas.

Well, clearly one would be able to turn it off in the case of excessive
load. In my case its unfortunate, rather than fortunate, since the
spreadsheets I have (or want to convert) are small and there is
negligible slowdown. To have to remember to refresh the entire
spreadsheet is a burden - not a large one I agree, but one which if
forgotten could lead to catastrophic financial reports :-;

Hi Richard,

how about this code (can even go into .emacs):

(run-with-idle-timer 1.0 'repeat
   (lambda ()
     (and (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
          (org-at-table-p)
          (org-table-recalculate 'all))))

This will recalculate each time you are idle for more than 1 second with cursor inside the table.

This may get you into trouble when you have a formula that produces and error, in which case you can protect the call with a condition- case, or you can write yourself a function that does turn this feature on and off.

If I tab to a field above and press enter a new row appears. It is bound to org-return. (Latest version). Also there is no preselection of the cell
contents so if I type "8" when I have tabbed to the "cashbank" field
above then I get "| 8 2040 |".

tab into the field and start writing... believe me, it works (org 6.06b
and all versions I used since the tables were introduced.)

As I said above, when I tab in and start writing it adds to the existing
text. I do believe it might be different for you, but believe me, it
does not for me...

What is the setting of org-table-auto-blank-field ?

If it is t and the feature Thomas describes does not work, you have indeed got interference from some other package.

- Carsten