[Orgmode] Feature request for copy cell in tables

From: Chris Randle
Subject: [Orgmode] Feature request for copy cell in tables
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 18:16:19 +0100

Hi Carsten

I use the table feature in org-mode daily to keep a log of incoming work
requests. These requests have a 16-digit ID based on date such as the
first row/column in the example below. Sometimes I want to copy the same
ID to the line below, but S-return gives the result in the second row:

|------------------+----|
| 2008090910000121 | 10 |
|      -2147483648 | 11 |
|------------------+----|

This is presumably due to integer overflow.

Secondly, I sometimes want to duplicate the cell which contains a simple
integer such as 10 without it being incremented to 11 (although the
auto-increment is also very useful). I don't really want to start
setting org-table-copy-increment one way or the other as I'd use both
types of copy equally.

Two ideas:

A) Could the table copy feature be altered to do a string-type copy if
integer arithmetic is overflowing or wrapping round?

And/or

B) Could there be some keystroke to ignore integer increment and just
treat the number as text? Would 'C-u 0 S-return' do the trick or has
someone got a more elegant combination? C-S-return might also be a
candidate, although it currently seems to mimic C-return and call
(org-insert-heading-after-current).

Thanks for your consideration.

--
Chris Randle
Windows XP SP3 - GNU Emacs 22.1.1 - Org-mode 6.06b