Re: [Orgmode] Spreadsheet and weighted means

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Spreadsheet and weighted means
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:46:02 +0200

Hello,

> Hi Nicolas, there s no builtin way to deal with this, in particular
> with the fact that you want to treat empty fields as non-existing, and
> therefore also to ignore the corresponding weight.
>
> You cou write a Lisp function to do this, though:
>
> (defun my-wmean (values weights)
>   (let ((vsum 0) (wsum 0))
>     (while (and values weights)
>       (setq v (pop values) w (pop weights))
>       (unless (equal "" v)
>       (setq vsum (+ vsum (* (string-to-number w) (string-to-number
> v)))
>             wsum (+ wsum (string-to-number w)))))
>     (/ vsum wsum)))

Well, thank you very much: it does the job.

I don't want to be picky but I'll investigate on a way to have an empty
string instead of a sorry 0 whenever a student hasn't sat for any exam.

Finally, I wondered if it would be useful to make it built-in as
weighted means are somewhat popular in education.

Anyway, thanks again.

--
Nicolas Goaziou