Re: [Orgmode] Re: Any iPhone devellopers here

From: Jeff Mickey
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Any iPhone devellopers here
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 18:43:45 -0400

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 18:19, Peter Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>> do we have any iPhone developer here on the list who would like to
>> listen to my ideas about a (very simple) mobile arm (not version) of
>> Org?
>
> I've been thinking about ways to get OrgMode tasks onto my iPhone.  I
> haven't written any code yet, but was thinking about writing an
> Objective-C library that can parse org files.  The problem, of course,
> is dealing with any Lisp, like recurring dates.
>
> I'd be very interested in hearing your ideas Carsten.

So I had started to write a translator for OrgMode to OmniFocus on the
iPhone, but I never got the WebDAV updates to function properly, and
it didn't sync back (OF -> Org).  This made it basically unusable and
not so hot.

If you jailbreak your phone, you can probably get a lot further on
this project, as you can run any compiled executable that you bless
with `ldid -S filename`.  I'm not sure if anyone has tried compiling
emacs on the iPhone, but I imagine that would be quite a feat in it's
self.  Though it's probably the only way to leverage all your org-mode
elisp.  If you could settle for some subset, you could probably
rewrite what you needed in Obj-C.

Any ideas you have for this I'd appreciate hearing about as well.

  //  jeff