Re: [Orgmode] Question about agenda

From: Manish
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Question about agenda
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:23:25 +0530

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:56 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
> Manish wrote:
>>   On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
>>   > I have an org file which the agenda sees in which I put an outline item
>>   > with notes from a meeting.  The header for this item is as follows:
>>   >
>>   > * Tasks
>>   > ...
>>   > * * Meeting with XXXX
>>   >  SCHEDULED: <2008-10-06 Mon>
>>   > ...
>>   >
>>   > What I was somewhat surprised to see was that this continues to roll
>>   > down my agenda, e.g.:
>>   >
>>   > ....
>>   > Wednesday   8 October 2008
>>   >  smite:      Sched. 3x:  Meeting with XXXXX
>>   > ....
>>   >
>>   > I think this means that I don't really understand the meaning of
>>   > SCHEDULED, nor do I understand how the agendas are composed.  But I'm
>>   > looking at the info manual now, and I'm not actually enlightened.
>>   >
>>   > Is there something I should do to tag something SCHEDULED like this so
>>   > that it no longer appears in my agenda view as something still to be
>>   > done?  Is there a HAPPENED tag, or something like that?
>>
>> When something is SCHEDULED it continues to appear in agenda as long
>> as it is not marked DONE.  You can do that (marking something DONE)
>> using C-c C-d in the Org file or using "t" from agenda view.
>>

> OK.  But that does seem weird to me.  Meetings seem like things that
> should be scheduled, but they are not TODO items, so they don't seem
> like the sort of thing that should get a TODO marker (which it what
> "DONE" is), and they don't seem like the sort of thing that should
> require an active dismissal.

Most of my meetings are of recurring nature so I never really thought
about this but I see what you mean.

> So it seems like "SCHEDULED" is just the Wrong Thing for stuff like my
> meeting.  Is there any different flag I could use that would give me a
> single appearance in the Agenda?

I am sorry I am not aware of any such TODO keyword/tag.  I was not
aware of an item appearing just once if SCHEDULED keyword was omitted
as suggested by Bernt.  (He almost always teaches me something new
every time.)

-- Manish