Re: [Orgmode] Latex export & Prosper Presentation

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Latex export & Prosper Presentation
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:46:17 +0200

On Oct 4, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

Russell Adams wrote:
I've gotten a basic export to Prosper working for a presentation I'm
writing to give this weekend.
Here is the extra portion for .emacs:
(setq org-export-latex-classes (cons '("prosper"
    "% BEGIN Prosper Defaults
\\documentclass[pdf, contemporain]{prosper}
\\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\\usepackage[colorlinks,linkcolor=blue]{hyperref}
% END Prosper Defaults
"
    ("\\begin{slide}{%s}" . "\\begin{slide}{%s}"))
                                    org-export-latex-classes))
Unfortunately it doesn't appear that I can add a closure for the
slide, so a manual "\end{slide}" must go at the end of each.

Thanks for describing this -- it works great!

The \end{slide} issue is a drag though.  In fact, I'm now wondering if it's possible to have a backward compatible change to org-export-latex-classes that adds optional 3rd and 4th sectioning strings to close each section so that the structure is:

(class-name
 header-string
   (unnumbered-section numbered-section
   [unnumbered-section-close numbered-section-close])
   ...)
where I've used square braces to indicate optional elements -- sorry I'm not much of a Lisp programmer.

Something like this would provide a lot more flexibility, and would allow one to do all sorts of "fancy" things -- minipages, boxes, maybe pictures constructed from hierarchical elements, etc.  You could even do tables without using org tables, say if the elements contain multiple paragraphs, which doesn't work so neatly in org tables.

Does anyone else think this would be useful?

Hi Daniel, I do!

This is a good idea, and I have implemented it.  The structures are
now

  (class-name
   header-string
     (numbered-heading . unnumbered-heading)
     .......)

or

  (class-name
   header-string
     (numbered-open numbered-close unnumbered-open unnumbered-close)
     .......)

Mixtures of the two are also allowed.

- Carsten

Dan