Re: [Orgmode] keeping track of sent emails in org?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] keeping track of sent emails in org?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:11:52 -0700

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Bill,
>

> to add links to autgoing mails automatically, adding a link to such a
> mail once should be enough, to add the right funciton to your
> 'mail-send-hook' (?? don't no which hook really...) since it's just a
> question of the link format.

It seems like this could get complicated as it depends on how/where you
store your sent messages.  Also, it looks like org-mode links rely on
the gnus group, and article id to link back to an article, so somehow
you would need a hook which runs after the sent article has been saved
into a group and given an ID.  If this has been done before with
planner, then it should be fairly straightforward to examine the
previous implementation and adapt it to org-mode.  Or I could be
horribly wrong.

> If no one has done this until now, please share it here. I use gnus,
> but I still BCC myself to 'store' my outgoing mail :-)
> As for me, I'd prefer a way to keep my outgoing mails directly in
> gnus.

I'm straying slightly off topic here, but take a look at `gcc-self'
under gnus:Group Parameters.  It automatically saves a copy of outgoing
mail into the group from which the mail was sent.  I use the following
to turn it on for all of my mail groups.

(setq gnus-parameters
         (gcc-self . t))))

Cheers -- Eric