Re: [Orgmode] keeping track of sent emails in org?

From: Bill White
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] keeping track of sent emails in org?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:43:23 -0500

On Mon Oct 27 2008 at 16:59, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2008, at 10:49 PM, Bill White wrote:
>
>> On Mon Oct 27 2008 at 16:35, Carsten Dominik
>> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Can Gnus in general find messages by message-id?  Then it would be
>>> nice if we could do that.  I believe the mhe interface does use
>>> message-id already, maybe others too.
>>
>> I know this link, generated by remember, works from planner:
>>
>> [[gnus://nnml:wri.d-wpt/<address@hidden>][E-Mail from
>> Soandso]]
>>
>> And this, generated from Sacha's code, also works from planner:
>>
>> [[gnus://nnml:archive.2008-10/<address@hidden>][Eric
>> Schulte: Re: %5BOrgmode%5D keeping track of sent emails in org?]]
>>
>> (I store this month's outgoing mail in ~/Mail/archive/2008-10)
>>

>> I don't know how planner's gnus:// link works, though.
>
> This looks to me that the link needs to know in which group the
> message is located, so such links will probably get broken when you
> move the message.  So when you create the link in a group, then move
> it to a different group or folder, does the link then still work?

I don't know - I never do that.  Just a minute [fiddles with files...]

So I went to the archive group in gnus, moved the message to nnml:temp
via 'B m', then clicked the planner link to that message.

The code called by the link eventually calls

   (gnus-summary-goto-article article-id nil t)

where article-id is, in my case, the message-id.  Somehow, gnus found
that message and displayed it *in the archive group* (with an article ID
number of -1) even though it isn't in that group anymore and I don't
have gnus-registry enabled.  There lurk gnus mysteries.

Dunno whether that helps :-/

Cheers -

bw
--