Re: [Orgmode] Org Remember hooks?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org Remember hooks?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 20:43:26 +0100

Hi Tim,

On Nov 18, 2008, at 6:18 PM, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi,

I want to change/add to the remember mode key-map but i'm having some
problems reverting them.
That's because the remember buffer is actually org-mode in disguise,
the keys stay mapped after the remember mode buffer is closed.

Is it possible to localise the org-remember mappings, or supply a post
org-remember hook?

These are both good ideas.  You are right that it is bad that it is so
difficult to change key bindings in Org's version of remember-mode.
But I think it makes a lot of sense to have the remember buffer
in Org-mode with all its power.

Here is what I have done now:

1. Finishing a remember process runs `org-remember-before-finalize- hook'.
   You could use this to revert your bindings, but the following
   second option is better:

2. I have defined a *minor* mode, org-remember-mode with lighter "Rem"
   that is activated when Org-mode is active in a remember buffer.
   You can use its hook `org-remember-mode-hook' or also
`remember-mode-hook' to install your keys into `org-remember-mode- map'. It will *not* be necessary to turn off these keys, so for this purpose you will actually not need `org-remember-before-finalize-hook', which may
   find other uses.

This should work (untested):

(defun toc:remap-remember-keys ()
(define-key org-remember-mode-map [(control x) (control s)] 'remember-finalize) (define-key org-remember-mode-map [(meta k)] 'remember-destroy))
(add-hook 'org-remember-mode-hook 'toc:remap-remember-keys 'append)

HTH

- Carsten