Re: [Orgmode] Re: Dividers in File

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Dividers in File
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:26:48 +0100

On Nov 20, 2008, at 4:51 AM, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> wrote:
When I need quick dividers for better visibility, I adopt the approach
Eric mentions above. E.g.,

* ----section one------
* Heading one
* Heading two
* ----section two------
* Heading one
* Heading two

I've considered that myself, but I just don't like the look of it.  More than once I've wished  I could use something like the hline markup and get a horizontal line that was scoped with the reset of the outline in the org-buffer and on export.  So something like the following

#################

* foo 1
* foo 2

-----

* bar 1
*** bar 1.1
  -----
* bar 2

-----

* Baz!

################

would display as

################

* foo 1
* foo2

------------------    <= buffer or wrap wide, doesn't fold into foo2

* bar 1
*** bar 1.1
  --------------    <= buffer or wrap wide, doesn't fold into Bar 1.1 but does fold into Bar 1

* bar 2

------------------    <= buffer or wrap wide, doesn't fold into foo2

* Baz!

################

I'd guess it might not be too hard with the right but I haven't been annoyed enough to look into it.

It is not too hard to hack this, using org-cycle-hook:

(defun org-cycle-show-hlines (state)
  "Show hlines after visibility changes."
  (let ((re "^-----+$") beg end)
    (save-excursion
      (cond
       ((memq state '(overview contents t))
(setq beg (point-min) end (point-max)))
       ((memq state '(children folded))
(setq beg (point) end (org-end-of-subtree t t))))
      (when beg
(goto-char beg)
(while (re-search-forward re end t)
 (outline-flag-region
  (1- (match-beginning 0))
  (progn (outline-next-heading) (point))
  nil))))))

(eval-after-load "org"
  '(add-hook 'org-cycle-hook 'org-cycle-show-hlines 'append))

HTH

- Carsten