Re: [Orgmode] RFC: Improvements to org-remember

From: Ben Alexander
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] RFC: Improvements to org-remember
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:50:53 +0200

On 2008-Nov-24, at 04:25, address@hidden wrote:

From: James TD Smith <address@hidden>
Date: 24 November 2008 01:25:57 EET
Subject: [Orgmode] RFC: Improvements to org-remember

* New features
** Adding non-headline items

That's a fantastic idea!

** Updating completion statistics

** Automatic sorting

Right now, I have a :SORT: property in my property drawer which looks like:
  :SORT: C-c S-6 p
This is just a reminder to me for the key chord I need to play to get the sort I want.  It's conveniently located near the headline and not too hard to open and read when I need to resort manually.

It seems to me that having an hook like 'org-remember-after-filing would allow people to choose what kinds of updating they wanted done after a remember template was used.   Mixing this with different types of templates may take some care: you don't want to run all the hooks inside a save-excursion if the point to to allow the hook to move point to a special place, but then all hooks would have to be written with that in mind. Perhaps the hooks should be run inside a (let ) with some official bindings for markers for the following:
 - org-remember-marker-to-beginning-of-new-text
 - org-remember-marker-to-end-of-new-text
 - org-remember-marker-to-parent-headline (perhaps most useful for non-headline remember templates)
 - org-remember-template-type

But automatic sorting seems useful in many other contexts (like after scheduling or rescheduling an item, or changing priority, or editing the headline text) so perhaps some wishes/ideas from the list would be appropriate.  Could org-mode take ownership of the :SORT: property for headlines, and have a org-sort-file-using-property (or a org-sort-headline-using-property) which could be added to hook lists where-ever the user wanted?

Or is this too specific?  Would it be nice to have plain lists (or checkboxed lists) have some kind of sort property too? Where could a user store this data so it could be easy to see but also easy to ignore.