Re: [Orgmode] getting org-goto to work with ido

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] getting org-goto to work with ido
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:07:27 -0700

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 02:59, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:
> (setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil)
>
> Then targets for org-goto will still be identified by their entire
> path, in this way removing disambiguates,  but you can then use
> single-step completion to match the entire path, using ido if you wish.

Kind of like uniquify?

I don't have git, but if this is what I think you mean, then I had the
same idea, except for a different reason.

Let's say you have housing/environment/filters and
food/coffee/filters.  And also 10 more.  You type "fil" and there are
15 candidates.  To select the coffee one, you type c-spc then "cof".
In other words, I wanted to do the headline first then the path.

An improvement would be to put the path *after* the headline (in
reverse order like filters\coffee\food; see uniquify for code and to
make the syntax consistent).  Then c-spc would not be necessary.  You
would type "filcof".  If that is not enough to disambiguate, then
"fo".
No backtracking necessary.

Then the minibuffer can show tersely if desired.  filters\coffee,
filters\environment.  Or just enough to be unique.

If that's what you mean, then we have a winner.

But is it fast in CPU time to gather the headlines this way?
:maxlevel isn't necessary?

> Wow, this is *really* fast.

Yeah.

> Maybe I should start by setting the default for org-goto-interface to
> outline-path-completion.
> Any thoughts about such a change?

Maybe depends on CPU time on large files and what you set the ido
default to.  Of course, ido has limits you can set also.  I presume
emacs and xemacs both have ido.

I would use it.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are knowingly causing further
suffering and death by opposing biomedical research on this