Re: [Orgmode] Re: Git recommendations

From: Alex Ott
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Git recommendations
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:25:57 +0100

Re

 SW> Do you know whether any of the git modes allow you to preprocess the
 SW> files that get diffed or ediffed?

in magit you can see diff for separate files

 SW> For example, let's say that you want to ignore all line moves.  In
 SW> that case, you might run both files (e.g. an old version and the
 SW> current version) through "sort -u".

 SW> Then the diff will look funny if you made a lot of changes, but if you
 SW> only moved lines, it would show up as a zero diff, which is exactly
 SW> what you want if you don't care about line moves.  If you made just a
 SW> few changes and a lot of line moves, those changes would show up.  A
 SW> more sophisticated algorithm could keep the changed lines in place.

 SW> Likewise, you could preprocess org files to make diffs cleaner by
 SW> eliminating all level changes, etc.

 SW> I have done this in the shell for a long time and found it useful; it
 SW> would be nice in a git mode, if any support that.

 SW> Of course, perhaps it could be done in ediff, somehow.

 SW> I wonder if dvc will win because it has backends.

You can look through modes, described in my article at
http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/en/writings/emacs-vcs/EmacsGit.html

In DVC, as i remember, support for Git is still very basic

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott, MBA
http://alexott.blogspot.com/           http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/