Re: [Orgmode] Re: All tags in agenda and bug in column view (maybe an em

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: All tags in agenda and bug in column view (maybe an emacs bug)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 17:11:09 +0100

Hi Tassilo,

thanks for the info about the emacs deamon.

- Carsten

On Nov 30, 2008, at 9:37 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

Hi Carsten,

how do you load org-mode in .emacs?  Maybe things will work better if
you load it only when there is a frame.  So don't do (require 'org),
but only (require 'org-install),

That's what I do.

so that the lisp files will only be loaded when the first buffer is
opened?

Yes, but I have (org-agenda-list) in my .emacs, so that I'm greeted with
the tasks for that day when emacs starts up.  But with --daemon that's
senseless anyway.  I'll take it out and most probably it'll work than.

Thanks for the pointer.

I have never heard about emacs --deamon, what does it do, do you have
a link to a manpage or so?

That's a quite new feature in emacs from CVS.

,----[ (info "(emacs)Emacs Server") ]
|    The second way to start an Emacs server is to run Emacs as a
| "daemon", using the `--daemon' command-line option.  *Note Initial
| after initialization, and returns control to the calling terminal
| instead of opening an initial frame; it then waits in the background,
| listening for edit requests.
|
| Once an Emacs server is set up, you can use a shell command called | `emacsclient' to connect to the existing Emacs process and tell it to
| visit a file.  If you set the `EDITOR' environment variable to
| `emacsclient', programs such as `mail' will use the existing Emacs
| process for editing.(1)
|
|    You can run multiple Emacs servers on the same machine by giving
| each one a unique "server name", using the variable `server- name'. For | example, `M-x set-variable <RET> server-name <RET> foo <RET>' sets the | server name to `foo'. The `emacsclient' program can specify a server by
| name, using the `-s' option (*note emacsclient Options::).
`----

Bye,
Tassilo