Re: [Orgmode] WISH: Add the possiblity to add captions to tables/images

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] WISH: Add the possiblity to add captions to tables/images
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:44:39 +0100

On Nov 20, 2008, at 2:26 PM, Daniel Pörsch wrote:

Hi list,

a feature which I miss in org-mode is the possibility to add captions
to a table or a image. I use org-mode to prepare technical documents,
currently mostly to export to HTML. It would be very nice to have
usual technical writing style here as well. It would also be very
helpful for LaTeX where you hardly have any image or table w/o caption
(at least I didn't have it).

HTML does not really have a natural way to add a caption to an image
or a table (as far as I know, that is).  What structural element
would you propose?

I do like the idea to add captions, but I will probably only get
around to that when after fixing a few bugs in the LaTeX exporter,
for which captions are even more interesting.

- Carsten

Proposal would be to introduce an optional special comment to give a
caption, e.g.:
|---------+-------------+-------+-------|
#+TBLCAP: This table expresses my wish to have a caption.

[[file:org-mode.png]]
#+IMGCAP: Org-mode logo.

Deplate for example has something similar for tables, see
http://deplate.sourceforge.net/Markup.html#tables.

Did you consider this already?

Cheers,
Daniel