[Orgmode] Re: Problem with org-gnus-follow-link

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Problem with org-gnus-follow-link
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:04:09 +0100

Ulf Stegemann <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ulf,

> this works after some modifications (patch attached). XEmacs does not
> know `substring-no-properties' but org-compat has
> `org-substring-no-properties'.

Ah, ok.

> Besides, my Gnus holds `gnus-large-newsgroup' as a string not as
> integer.

What?!?  Do you set it somewhere?  The docs say it should be a number or
nil.

> Just one other comment: After failure to get a summary buffer by
> reading the last article you try it with reading 1-
> gnus-large-newsgroup articles.  I'd assume that in most cases where
> the first call to gnus-group-read-group fails only one or a few more
> articles have been deleted in the group in question. In that case, it
> might be quicker if `org-gnus-follow-link' increases the number of
> articles to be read by one and tries `gnus-group-read-group' again
> until the call succeeds.

Yeah, I'll implement like that.  But incrementing one by one is not
optimal.  When a user deletes all messages (including the linked one)
the summary cannot be opened anyway and you'll loop till the maximum
integer (or whatever you use as upper bound).  So I think I'll try
increasing by one till 16 and then start doubling.

Bye,
Tassilo