Re: [Orgmode] Re: Footnotes and org-export, revisited

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Footnotes and org-export, revisited
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:08:24 +0100

On Dec 17, 2008, at 6:18 PM, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

Paul R <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

Can others express their views on pros and cons of the two following
usages :

* Usage 1, anonymous footnotes

Karate or karate-do is a martial art developed in the Ryukyu Islands
from indigenous fighting methods and Chinese kenpō[fn:: Kenpo is the
name of several martial arts].

[...]

And then we will have that one feature request to cross reference a
previous footnote!  :-)  In the above case, how would a person go
about asking someone to refer to an earlier footnote?

* Usage 2, keyword named footnotes

Karate or karate-do is a martial art developed in the Ryukyu Islands
from indigenous fighting methods and Chinese kenpō[fn:kenpo]. It is
primarily a striking art using punching, kicking, knee and elbow strikes
and open-handed techniques such as knife-hands and ridge-hands.

[fn:kenpo] Kenpo is the name of several martial arts

Unless I've got it wrong, wouldn't it be better to do something like

[fn:kenpo { Kenpo is the name of several martial arts}]
(keep the keyword and definition in one place?)

And all future references go as 'see [fn:kenpo] to understand the
meaning'.  Presumably when exported, all these keywords stuff
disappears and are replaced by standard LaTeX style footnote numbers,
right?

[...]

Hi Sivaram,  I can see how this would be represented in
HTML (just several links to the same footnote), but how
would you represent this in LaTeX?

- Carsten