Re: [Orgmode] structure editing in brainstorming mode

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] structure editing in brainstorming mode
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 06:51:08 -0600

Hi Rustom,

"Rustom Mody" <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. Multiple heading demotion
>
> Lets say I start writing down some points maybe with/without some
> additional text
> * Cat
> * Dog
>
> And now I decide to put all these into a superheading 'My Pets'
> The only way I know is to enter
> * My Pets
> before Cat and then demote each subtree -- if there were not two but
> ten I'd have to do that 10 times
> I tried selecting the whole set that I want to demote and doing M-S-right
> but I get the message
>
> This command is active in special contexts like tables headlines or timestamps

For this, you can use M-<right> and M-<left>, which promote and demote
headlines. (M-S-<right> demotes the entire subtree.)

See this section of the manual a list of commands:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-editing.html#Structure-editing

> 2. Converting heading type
>
> Sometimes one assumes that the points are 'small' and so are entered
> as + points. Thus
> * Pets
>   + Cat
>   + Dog
>
> and then at some point it emerges that the +es had better be changed
> to headings that is (the requisite number of) *s.  Any easy way of
> doing that?

C-c - or S-<left>/<right> should do the trick.

For more information, see this section of the manual:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html#Plain-lists

Best,

Matt