Re: [Orgmode] Windows and emacs

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Windows and emacs
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 23:41:20 +0000

I second Mike's advice.  EmacsW32 is very carefully done, and you will get much easier access to the rest of your windows filesystem with a native Windows Emacs.  And if you're a Linux user, you'll ease the pain of transition with cygwin (the windows command line always seemed hopeless to me).  I've not done the work to get the the EmacsW32 port to work with cygwin yet, though I did it with a windows Vim once.  Basically it involves getting Emacs to invoke cygwin as its shell, and optionally, cygwin to invoke the windows Emacs binary when you type 'emacs' from the cygwin command line. This way you can use emacs to edit your files from the cygwin command line, and the cygwin command line to do stuff from within emacs.
'
Scot

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Mike Newman <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:41:36 +0100
Raimund Kohl-Füchsle <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> it may happen that I have to switch to Windows XP and since I have no
> idea how XP works (up to this point in time I only ran Linux
> machines) I thought to ask since I want to stick with org-mode: How
> do I get org-mode and emacs run best with XP?  As far as I know there
> are at least two ways to get emacs running; one is to simply download
> emacs, two is downloading cygwin; if it is cygwin that I have to go
> with then which emacs?  If I saw it right there are several
> choices ... ummm ... any hints on that?
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> ray

What I use is the EmacsW32
(http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html).  This gives you recent
snapshot of Emacs 23 (I use the patched version).

I also recommend installing cygwin, and doing a little bit of work in
getting emacs to use it (not difficult, but I can't remember the
details).  If you know linux, you are sure to find it useful.  I don't
suggest using a cygwin build of emacs (I think the native build will be
easier to use).

One advantage of having cygwin installed is that you can then use "make"
to build you a new version of org.

Hope this is helpful.
--
Mike