[Orgmode] Refile as top-level headlines?

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Refile as top-level headlines?
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:49:04 -0600

Hi everyone,

I have a lot of org-files and use org-refile all the time as part of
my normal workflow. My basic approach is to remember things to an
inbox.org file and then to process the inbox GTD-style.

One thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is how to refile headers
as top level headlines in a target file. I've customized org-refile
with the following settings:

,----
| (setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)
| (setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 1)
|                            (nil :maxlevel . 3)))
`----

(Note: the second setting in org-refile-targets gives me additional,
deeper targets in whatever file I'm visiting.)

What I'd like to see is for maxlevel to include the possibility of
filing an item as a top-level headline (at the bottom of the file).
This would make it easier to create new top-level projects directly
from my inbox. Otherwise, if the item I'm refiling doesn't naturally
fit under any of the existing top level headlines in the target file,
I have to (1) copy it by hand or (2) create a inbox heading in the
target file, which I then have to empty again as part of a separate
process (tedious with many org files).

Perhaps this desired behavior is already possible. Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt