Re: [Orgmode] word wrapping inside org table

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] word wrapping inside org table
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:26:48 -0600

Hi Yu,

"Yu Zhao" <address@hidden> writes:

> Is it possible to do word wrapping inside org table as MS Word did? I know
> that one table mode can do this. (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TableMode)

I don't believe you can do word wrapping within a single field and
still preserve the integrity of the field, since, as I understand it,
a field in org-tbl is limited to a single line.

But you can "wrap" a long field for the sake of appearance. For
instance if you have the following table:

,----

| | table | this is a long field with a lot of text that stretches on and on |

`----

You can select the text in the second column as a region and type C-u
5 M-RET, which will reformat the text to fill five rows. (Change the
prefix argument to get more or fewer rows.)

,----

| | table | this is a long |
| |       | field with a   |
| |       | lot of text    |
| |       | that stretches |
| |       | on and on      |

`----

Your other option is to create narrow columns that hide the full text
in a column. See this page of the manual:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Narrow-columns.html#Narrow-columns

Best,
Matt