[Orgmode] Re: org-mode to iphone?

From: Wes Hardaker
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode to iphone?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:05:46 -0800

CD> So please get back to it when you find time and keep us
CD> posted.  I could tweak the HTML exporter where necessary
CD> to make a good mobile access idea for Org-mode stuff
CD> a reality.

I've been meaning to write this up for a while, and I think this sort of
idea is exactly what could benefit from it...

I think there should be a generic exporter that contains simple
customization rules for how to do an export.  Something like:

 (setq org-export-templates
   '(("mediawiki"
      :heading1-prefix "= "
      :heading1-suffix " ="
      :heading2-prefix "== "
      :heading2-suffix " =="

      :bold-prefix     "'''"
      :bold-suffix     "'''"

      :link-format     "[%{url} %{link-text}]"

      :numbered-list-prefix "#"
      :numbered-list-suffix "\n"
    )))

I'm making stuff up on the fly above, but I think you get the idea.
Most of the exporting formats that are needed could really be simplified
down to something minimal like the above.  It'd be much easier than
continually rewriting much of the export process when a lot of it is the
same across multiple back-ends.

I'm not sure it could be applied everywhere.  Certainly there are some
very tricky elements to deal with (and the default, if not defined,
should be to fall back to a straight text conversion).  IE, I'm not sure
the latex backend could be easily rewritten using something like the
above (but hey, you never know).

There are a number of things I'd like to export to something "unusual",
and the above would allow that flexibility.  Unfortunately, I don't have
much time, and more importantly don't have the org skill at all to make
it happen.

Thoughts?