[Orgmode] Re: Advice sought on managing decision alternatives.

From: Tom Breton (Tehom)
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Advice sought on managing decision alternatives.
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 15:46:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Carsten.  Here is the new patch to org.el and the new
org-choose.el

A couple of notes:

 * As we talked about, "decisions" and "chosenness" are now called
   "choose" everywhere.
 * I was able to add the library-aware customization we talked about.
 * I also added new variable `org-todo-normal-interpretations' - see
   explanation below.
 * New test file.  Essentially the same, with name replacement.
 * Didn't append the example files; they are all unchanged from before.

******* About `org-todo-normal-interpretations'

You said your idea was to make a generally useful system.  I noticed
that one thing was still hard-coded.  It's the part of org-todo that
finds the next entry:

        (memq interpret '(sequence choose))
        (memq interpret '(type priority))

If I understand your intentions correctly, new TODO modules should
always behave like `sequence' in this respect.  So the first line now
looks at a variable list.

I saw two possible approaches to get this list:
 * Extract the symbol from `org-todo-interpretations'.  It's in there,
   but:
   * Con: Of the two obvious ways to extract it, neither is good
     1. Parse the widget form the way that wid-edit does, which is
        hairy
     2. Have a policy that every module that adds to it has to put the
        symbol first, which changes the appearance of widgets and
        invites mistakes.
 * Add yet another variable to contain all the "normal" interpretation
   symbols.

I have tentatively chosen the second and coded it.  I named the
variable `org-todo-normal-interpretations' (as always, feel free to
suggest a better name).

Tom Breton (Tehom)