[Orgmode] Re: Docs submitted (really #')

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Docs submitted (really #')
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:41:07 -0600

> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:58:43 -0500
> From: Bernt Hansen <address@hidden>
> Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Docs submitted
> To: Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, "Tom Breton \(Tehom\)" <address@hidden>
>
> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:08 AM, Tom Breton (Tehom) wrote:
>>
>>> (eval-after-load 'org
>>>  '(progn
>>> ;;^--HERE.
>>>     (add-to-list 'org-todo-setup-filter-hook
>>>               #'org-choose-setup-filter)
>>>     (add-to-list 'org-todo-get-default-hook
>>>               #'org-choose-get-default-mark)
>>>     (add-to-list 'org-trigger-hook
>>>               #'org-choose-keep-sensible)
>>>     (add-to-list 'org-todo-interpretation-widgets
>>>               '(:tag "Choose   (to record decisions)" choose)
>>>               'append)
>>>   ))
>>>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> maybe you can educate me:  I have never understood what the "#" does
>> in code like the one you have here.  You are using it, so maybe you
>> know?
>
> As I understand it (from my book on Common Lisp) #'some-function is used
> to quote function names.  'some-function quotes a variable.
>
> It means "Get me the function with the following name" - without the #',
> Lisp would treat some-function as the name of a variable and look up the
> value of the variable, not the function.

In Common Lisp, #' is a reader macro that is an abbreviation for
function.  So #'foo is read as (function foo).

I'm not at all sure what #' means in elisp, which is not the same
programming language.  A quick peek at the Elisp info file didn't find
reader macros anywhere in there.

AFAIK for defining hooks a symbol will be interpreted as a function
name, won't it?  So replacing all of the #'s with 's above would work,
wouldn't it?

Best,