Re: [Orgmode] Using Git to update more than one machine (one without net

From: David Thole
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Using Git to update more than one machine (one without network access)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:58:17 -0600 (CST)

Paul,

The way I've accomplished the task you're talking about is instead of trying to push and pull *to* the work machine, I use another machine with less restrictive firewalls to push and pull from. This is how I do it...

Work <-> Web Server <-> Home

The web server acts as my "USB Key", and I have cron jobs to pull and push updates to and from the servers. So at 7:30, I can have a "git pull" on my work machine - so it would go to the web server, pull in and merge my changes before I got to work. Then when I go home, say at 5:10, do a "git push" back to the web server. At 5:30 or so my home machine can do a "git pull" and at 7:00 AM do a "git push".

This works pretty well so far. Another solution is to set up your home machine to have dyndns and enable SSH. You can then just ssh into your home machine, and use org-mode that way too. I've tried this quite a bit as well, and am kinda at a crossroads on which I like the most yet...

I hope this helps.

-David