[Orgmode] Re: DocBook exporter for Org-mode

From: Gour
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: DocBook exporter for Org-mode
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:05:16 +0100

>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
Hi Matthew,

Matthew> Apart from odt output, I'd be curious to know what reST can do
Matthew> that org-mode markup and export cannot. Footnotes, tables,
Matthew> hyperlinks, images---I've found org-mode to be a really great
Matthew> authoring tool for exporting both to xhtml, ascii, and
Matthew> LaTeX/pdf output. (And, of course, using latex2rtf, it's
Matthew> trivial to convert the tex files org-mode produces into files
Matthew> that can be edited in Open Office.)

I like and plan to learn org-mode to extend the present use greatly, but
similar to Muse, its use is 'limited' to Emacs users while I've need to
share some docs (e.g. writing documentation for software application)
with non-Emacs users, so using more 'standardized' markup is a 'pro'
here.

Matthew> I wonder if the ascii export from org would be difficult to
Matthew> convert to reST markup. Section headers and footnotes in the
Matthew> ascii export seem pretty close to the corresponding markup in
Matthew> reST. Just a thought....

Dunno more about Asciidoc, but it would be great if Pandoc
(http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/) would have full parser for reST
'cause it represents any supported markup in 'native' state before doing
conversion and it even outputs to Docbook :-)

So, my main point of using reST is more 'standard' and lightweight input
markup with the plethora of output formats.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D