[Orgmode] Auto-saving/loading files (without prompts)

From: David Thole
Subject: [Orgmode] Auto-saving/loading files (without prompts)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 12:41:57 -0600 (CST)

Hey all,

One thing I noticed about org mode I'm hoping to resolve. Basically with using git, and having something pull into the specific org file, the contents of the file change often.

The problem I'm having is that what I'd like to do is to refresh the buffer, and reload this file on specific intervals. When changes are made to the file - say a state changes or something like that, I want to automatically save back to the file near immediately. I'm trying to reduce the amount of race conditions I have in if I run from the following type of workflow:

- Load agenda
- clock in, out, add notes
- refresh file from ticket tracker
- Try to save file - fail because file potentially changed.

I'd like to try and get it to work as the following:

- Load agenda
- auto save file every 20 seconds or so: clock in, out, add notes
- Refresh file from ticket tracker (this is done, already merges with current org file) - reloads buffers automatically (no prompt on "this file has changed", automatically reload first then allow the edit to go through again.
- auto save file and repeat the above 2 steps.

I'm not totally sure if this would work, but right now what I do is:
- Load agenda
- Edit agenda as necessary
- Save Manually
- run python script to pull redmine stuff which will save it to the same file, merged. - hit refresh, confirm a few times that I want to reload the file and continue from step 2 on.

The main thing I'd like to fix if the overal solution doesn't work is a way to reload the file without confirming. So if I try to refresh the agenda buffer that it would automatically reload the file too, without confirmation. I have an emacs lisp command I created that does this for me.

Any ideas on how to handle this, or how to streamline this process at all?

Thanks,

David