Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-crypt and PROPERTIES location

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-crypt and PROPERTIES location
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:33:26 +0100

On Mar 20, 2009, at 6:27 PM, Peter Jones wrote:

we don't have a good function for this. Also, it is not so much about
extracting the contents, more about finding the boundaries.  In some
ways I think it would actually be better to use a tag for encryption
instead of a property, because this would allow to encrypt everything
except the headline.  What about we change this to a tag crypt_KEY?
Hmm, I am not sure if encryption keys would make valid tags.....

AFAIK, the key ID is only needed for encryption.  The encrypted text
will contain a pointer to the key needed for decryption.

Therefore, I suggest that we do this:

 - Have a defcustom for the default key ID to use (I think it will be
   very common that you'll use the same key to encrypt everything)

 - Allow overriding the key ID in an inheritable property (if you need
   to encrypt a heading using a different key than the default)

 - Use a tag matcher to specify headings to encrypt (another defcustom
   that will be used to find headings that should be encrypted
   before-save)

 - Encrypt everything under the heading, including properties (even if
   the property has the key ID, it won't be needed for decryption, so
   the entire contents can be encrypted)

Am I missing anything?

This sounds perfect to me.

You can use the mapping API to walk through the file
and do the encryption.  This has the advantage that you could,
in principle do de- and encryption in many files in one step.
Default should be the current file, though, exactly as you suggest.

- Carsten

I'd very much like to see this improved and stabilized, so that we can include this with Org, this would be valuable to have. I am sure John
would not mind if you did the final steps with it.  Am I right, John?

I had a private conversation with John, and he's completely open to me
putting the finishing touches on org-crypt and getting it included in
the org distribution.

Are there any org-crypt users out there that want to throw in their
$0.02?

--
Peter Jones, http://pmade.com
pmade inc.  Louisville, CO US