Re: [Orgmode] Re: Feature request (org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Feature request (org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:48:00 +0100

Hi Matt, Baoqiu,

this is a difficult issue.

Indentation is what governs the end of lists.  However, this concept
conflicts with the face that some constructs in Org cannot be indented
at all, in particular things like #+begin_example ena the like.

You are both right that tables and ": ..." examples could be written
with correct indentation, but this is only a partial solution.

Currently, the HTML exporter handles all these constructs as
"indentation irrelevant" and puts them into the list structure.
Given the fact that some special constructs cannot be indented,
this is the only way to have a source code example or a blockquote
as part of a list item.

As you noted correctly, LaTeX export does treat indentation of examples
and tables significantly and terminates list.  Clearly inconsistent.

Possible solutions:

1. Allow #+begin_example and friends to be indented and remove the same
   amount of whitespace from all example lines as the #+begin line has.
This is possible, but would require a lot of work in the LaTeX exporter. It would also cause a lot of problems with the edit-source-code stuff
   with "C-c '", because we could then no longer use indentation
   functionality while editing the examples.

2. Adapt the LaTeX exporter to work like the HTML exporter, ignoring
   indentation of tables and example.  The, introduce a special list
item like "- ___" to explicitly terminate a list if this should be necessary.

I welcome comments on this issue.

- Carsten