Re: [Orgmode] iPhone ----> org-mode

From: Brad Bozarth
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] iPhone ----> org-mode
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:21:11 -0700

Hi Carsten,

I'm glad I could help in a very small way - I really appreciate the
years you've put into this. I watched GregKH's, Linus's and your
Google tech talks the other day, and enjoyed yours the most. I know
I'll love the flexibility of org-mode over time, but it's great to
hear your version of the most powerful core features and the theory
behind them. And yes, I think the RSS --> org-mode idea has some good
possibilities, and reqall happens to be a convenient phone --> RSS
tool.

I think we have some similar genes - I ended up a software engineer
after a childhood love of all things astronomical (and love of
adrenaline, my dream was to be an astronaut), and was fascinated by
the self-organization of Saturn's rings - I always wanted to code a
simulation of such for fun, but never quite got to it. I made a pretty
neat 3D space particle "sandbox" in my Stanford graphics class, where
you could fly around and place directional points of gravity that
would attract all the floating particles on one side of the plane
perpendicular to your angle of view when you placed the point. Place
two facing different directions, and you could get beautiful, organic
looking streams of particles flowing in a ring (well, I thought they
were beautiful). Place three, and you could get extremely complex and
interesting cycling streams. I loved how all I had to get right were
the derivative calculations for gravity fall-off, and the simple
"flying" control and open-gl graphics, and something artistic emerged.
I've always loved the idea of complex order arising from simple
foundations...

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I went down memory lane when I looked up
your website and watched the mpeg movies of grain collisions. In the
age of Pixar, I don't know that many people would agree, but I found
them fascinating :)

Thanks again for your generous sharing!
-brad