Re: [Orgmode] Selective Export of subheadings and plain text

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Selective Export of subheadings and plain text
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 11:59:01 -0500

Martin Stemplinger <address@hidden> writes:

>> On Apr 3, 2009, at 9:38 PM, Martin Stemplinger wrote:
>>
>>> I use org-mode as a GTD implementation with level-1 headings as area
>>> of focus, level-3 headings for projects and level-5 headings as next
>>> actions. For each project I also note a successful outcome in plain
>>> text.
>>>
>>> So it looks like this
>>>
>>> * Self development
>>> :TOPIC:
>>> *** Learn org-mode                                                 :PROJECT:
>>>    I improve my GTD implementation.
>>> *** Learn Esperanto                                                :PROJECT:
>>>    I speak Esperanto fluently.
>>>
>>> What I would like to do is to export a project list together with the
>>> successful outcome but without the next actions below it looking like
>>> this
>>>
>>> 1 Self development
>>> ==========
>>>
>>> 1.1 Learn org-mode
>>> ---------------
>>>    I improve my GTD implementation.
>>>
>>> 1.2 Learn Esperanto
>>> ---------------
>>>    I speak Esperanto fluently.

If you are consistent about tagging all your projects you could, you
could create a custom agenda command for sparse trees in which
org-use-tag-inheritance is turned off.

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("p" "Projects" tags-tree "PROJECT"
         ((org-show-entry-below t)
          (org-use-tag-inheritance nil)))
        ;; other commands here
        ))

This will create a sparse tree that hides the ONLINE line. E.g., the
following file:

#+STARTUP: odd

* Self development                                                    :TOPIC:
*** Learn org-mode                                                  :PROJECT:
    I improve my GTD implementation.
*** Learn Esperanto                                                 :PROJECT:
  I speak Esperanto fluently.

Will be shown as:

#+STARTUP: odd

* Self development                                                    :TOPIC:
*** Learn org-mode                                                  :PROJECT:
    I improve my GTD implementation.

*** Learn Esperanto                                                 :PROJECT:
  I speak Esperanto fluently.

Then you can export only the visible portions of the org file to ascii
(or any other format):

C-c C-e v a

Here is the resulting ascii export:

,----
| Table of Contents
| =================
| 1 Self development
|     1.1 Learn org-mode
|     1.2 Learn Esperanto
|

| 1 Self development
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|
| 1.1 Learn org-mode
| ==================
|     I improve my GTD implementation.
|
| 1.2 Learn Esperanto
| ===================
|   I speak Esperanto fluently.
`----

You could accomplish the same thing with a slightly different custom
agenda command:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("p" "Projects" tags-tree "LEVEL=2"
         ((org-show-entry-below t)