Re: [Orgmode] GTD question - how to create Reference and Ticker files

From: Manish
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] GTD question - how to create Reference and Ticker files
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 10:31:35 +0530

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Varnit Suri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I 'm trying to implement the Getting Things Done approach using Org-mode
> (like many others!).
>
> I 've been thinking of the best way to implement GTD's Reference and
> Tickler folders in Org-mode. I have a few thoughts of my own, but wanted
> to check with the community, in case anyone else has a better solution.
>
> My solutions are pretty 'raw' - just a text file (with links, etc) for
> the Reference and a Someday list for the Tickler. Anyone else has more
> sophisticated solutions? Any comments are appreciated.

I also looked around for the "best way" for a long time but I guess
what fits one's mind may not fit others'.  With that said, Charles
Cave published an excellent article on the subject recently.. please
check out the Worg.  There's been discussions on the very subject in
the past.. please check out the list archives as well.

IMHO, you do not need a separate tickler file since your
agenda/project files can contain timestamped tasks and deadlines and
that's your tickler.  Someday file can also be implemented by either
using a SOMEDAY todo keyword or a SOMEDAY tag.  I keep project specfic
references within the project subtree and general purpose references
in a notes.org file with NOTES and WEBLINKS headings.  Org has excellent
search facilities as well to scan through these.

HTH
--
Manish